Early this year, I took a challenge to create a 12X12 layout about scrapbooking and why I should win a scrapbook store "GIVE-AWAY." I mailed this entry in with great anticipation! The "give-away" never happened... my entry was returned with a very nice note "not enough entrants for the give-away." Anyhooo... These photos show what my page looked like. Lots and lots of layers, pull-outs, CD with some of my best layouts burned onto it, tag book, etc. I'm really glad I created this layout... helped me see "me as a scrapbook store owner!" SOMEDAY, my dream! JOURALING READS: It's Friday night, December 30, 2005. This essay needs to be postmarked by midnight tomorrow! I didn't mean to be sliding under the wire, I'm not that kind of a person. I'm a planner and an organizer, but sometimes life give you spontaneous blessings and trials and you have to "go with it." Let me begin by saying that a couple of months ago a group of my teacher friends gave me a flyer, "you need to win this store," they said. It thrilled me and scared me... and then I began to work on the page design. In the beginning the layout of the page went together way to easy. I've worked on the scrap page a few minutes here and there to tie up the little details over the past few weeks. And then came the "thinking" part... comtemplating what I would say about why I need to win this scrap book store. First, my thoughts were selfish, "I need a break from teaching Kindergarten, I love sto scrap - I'm good at it, so let's try it!" I'd already decided the companies name "SCRAP THAT!" I started writing about how wonderfully talented I am, and about the many gifts I could bring tothe scrap book community. When I started writing, it just didn't feel right. So, I thought: "Maybe this isn't for me." Then this past summer I had to do things with my mom that I wasn't ready to do... like watch her try to heal in a nursing home, and then downsize her life and help her fit inot an assisted elderly care home. It's been hard watching her compact her memories into a smaller space, and lose the ability to do the things she has enjoyed doing all her life, but I have learned to love and respect her more and I've gained a greater insight into the elderly communities that are popping up everywhere. I've watched her do her "occupational therapy" routines, doing little art projects out of foam and paper pieces, she tenderly watches me as I hang them from her door. Then I had one of those all too often un-noticed "ahaha" moments! I'll win the store, get myself a traveling van, and take the supplies around to the elderly!" I started making a yearly plan... In February, I'll have them make a page about all the things they've loved in their lives. July.. A page about freedom, or memories of camping days. Each month began to take shape: December: Christmas Memories, November... Things I am thankful for,etc... I could hardly contain my enthusiasm. Each elderly participant would be doing "occupational therapy," sharing their stories, and leaving treasured scrap book memory pages for those they love to have and to cherish for many years to come. The store front, "Scrap That" would be our home base. We'll invite the elderly to come, riding in their assisted care buses, to the store for monthly or weekly outings to scrap their fascinating memories. The activity will help with mental focus, help with eye-hand coordination and other small mother skils. It is the perfect activity for them! And in the end, they will have something more than foam pieces hanging on the door. And, we'll come to thier living center, bringing supplies as needed, if they can't come to us! I say "Scrap Bingo!" and start scrapping memories! These sweet elderly people have stories to tell, and just need someone to listne, and care about what they have to say. I can't think of a better way to tell them how important their lives are than to help them scrap about it! I feel passionate about wanti





No comments:
Post a Comment